Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunday

Last evening and this morning we spent time watching videos of 9/11.  MB, Keegan and Kelton had never really watched any of it and so it was quite a learning experience for them.  It is really strange to be in another country on this day while we think about how our world changed 10 years ago.  I really wanted to hang an American flag today from our apartment.

We spent the day visiting with Ana - we played ping pong, basketball, soccer and took lots of pictures.  I just love the group of girls (and boys)  Ana  spends most of her time with.  There was quite a successful hosting program over the summer and many of the kids will be living with their forever families in Utah soon.  We tried to explain that Utah and Pa are not very close to each other but maybe at some point the kids can see each other again.  At least they will all be in the same country!

One girl, Vika, really touched my heart today.  Her English was amazing and we had a great conversation. She is going to a family with 7 siblings.  She will pretty much be in the middle at 14.  She just loved Kelton and told me how much she likes little children.  We talked about how she could be a teacher one day and I told her that's what I do.  She asked some questions about it and said - I think that is what I will do.  A beautiful girl with a good heart and great personality.  I was so happy to hear that she was waiting for her family.

Ana tried on some clothes for me today so I could see if I have the right size for her.  We will have to provide her with clothes on the day she leaves.  I think they will do however, I'm pretty sure the mall is calling us already and we are not even home yet!

We walked to and from the orphanage today.  On the way back we stopped at a big market that we had not been to yet.  It even had the signs with English underneath.  I knew I liked it right away.  There were many more choices compared to our little market by our apartment.  And we even found paper towels.  Not sure how this family of 6 has survived for over 2 weeks without paper towels!

We took the kids to the circus today.  It was 3 hours long and on hard wooden bleachers - we were sore when we walked out!  It was entertaining.  We understood about 90% of what was going on and enjoyed many of the American songs they played in the background - We Will Rock You, Mission Impossible.

Then we checked out the new pizza place by our apartment.  More American music - Black Eyed Peas, Pitbull.  It is so nice to hear English once in a while!  The pizza was not anything great but we were starved (since the tuna noodle casserole we made before the circus ended up in the garbage - the mushroom sauce was not what we were expecting).

It was our first night walking back in the dark.  We have made sure we have been home before dark every other night.  We made it safe and sound.

Tomorrow is the big day!  Court is at 9:30(2:30AM your time).  Ana is very excited!  We will post as soon as we are somewhere with internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment