Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What we are thankful for/What we miss

What are we thankful for in Ukraine?

*Ana - the reason we are here. We can not wait to be home and spend time as a family but have enjoyed the family time we have been able to spend here with Ana.

*Our kids - We had many people tell us this would be a mistake but I have to say that we would not do this any other way. Not sure how Jim and I would have made it 3 weeks without them. We felt that it was really important for our family for everyone to experience Ana's culture and see how she has spent the first 14 year of her life. The kids have had some life changing experiences here - things that they will remember forever

* Kostyia - we are so blessed to have a facilitator has great as Kostyia. He has been wonderful through the entire process here, speaks very fluent English and has become a lifelong friend. We can not wait until he brings his family to visit us in America!

*Liliya and Michale - It made the past 2 1/2 weeks go faster to have friends in the same town.

* Skype and Internet - I don't think we have ever relied on it more than we have here

* walking out the door and buying milk - Having never lived in a city (except for Jim) it has been nice have all the things you need right outside your door or just a short walk away

* chicken and perogies - our main diet here

*Pepsi - those that know me well know that I can not live without my pepsi. It is a little harder to find than Coke here but it's here!


* Soccer - so thankful that the boys could find friends to play with here to run out some energy! Plus it has been like a Ukrainian Soccer Camp for 3 weeks - lots of practice!

* American Music playing in the taxi and in stores!

* The cost of living here- Amazing! I can't believe what I walk out of a store with for such a small amount of $. Also, out to eat costs us less than half of what it costs at home. For the most part, everything here is cheaper with very few exceptions. And as far as Americans making so much more than people do here - it is all relative. We could live here for far less than what we need to survive at home.

* Our family and friends encouraging words and prayers back home - it has truly kept us going!



Things we miss from home:

* Family and Friends

* Emma and Zeb - we are sure they proably think we are never coming back!

* School - the kids are ready to go back and I am ready to get back to teaching

*Washer, Dryer, Microwave - Doing luandry for 6 in the bathtub for 3 weeks is not a fun task. Jim has taken on most of this responsibility.

*Paper Towels or any decent paper products! - A family of six can not live without Bounty!

* A big house and backyard with grass! - There is not much grass here at all - mostly weeds and dirt.

* American TV - The Tv here has been on less than 5 times

* Knowing what I am buying at the grocery store - like the 3 times I bought ketchup instead of spaghetti sauce or the pork I bought when thought it was steak!

* A kitchen that has all the utensils and pot and pans that I need - and my electric stove!

* Driving our own vehicles and roads with lines on them! - I will never complain about Kyle's driving again! I can't wait to get in the suburban and have some control over my life - instead of watching it flash before my eyes every time I am on the road!

*Dance,Soccer, all of the events that make our life crazy at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment